An initiation into the Byron Bay lifestyle. From the ocean to the hills and into the rainforest. You’ll greet the sun rising across the ocean before heading into the Byron hinterland for a day of natural beauty and spiritual awakening. Sample local produce and breathe in the essence of Byron. All in one day!
• Rise early! Be first to greet the sun on Australia’s most easterly point. Starting at The Pass, follow the spectacular coastal trail through rainforest and across rocky cliff faces to Wategos. Continue your sunrise venture along the beach to the lighthouse track. It’s all up from here to the Cape Byron headland, but the scenery is worth every deep breath. Look out for the large pod of dolphins that frequent Wategos and the brush turkeys and wallabies that inhabit the headland. At the top, the lighthouse glistens and the sleepy Bay below wakes. From June to October, whales breach close to the headland. Keep an eye out for sea eagles, also known as Miwing to the Arakwal people. Plunge yourself into the ocean at Wategos on your way back down. You’ll feel alive!
INITIATION - BYRON IN 1 DAY
@GO SEA KAYAK
• Challenge: Book a sunrise session with a personal trainer who knows the trail and can inspire you to reach your goals.
• Refuel in the dunes behind Clarks Beach with breakfast at Beach Byron Bay. Dine in with a view of the Bay or takeaway from their side kiosk before heading out to the hills for the day.
• Head west into the Byron hinterland. On the road to Federal you’ll pass through rolling green hills and roadside fruit and vege stands. Stop to sample fresh local produce and tasty road trip snacks.
• If the fresh country air stimulates your appetite, Doma at Federal awaits. Set in an old church and serving Japanese style dishes with a modern twist, it’s a brunch or lunch stop with a difference. Local roasters, Moonshine Coffee, are just a couple of doors down and give you a taste of the hills you’ll want to savour for a while. For a village shopping experience, check into The Hills Emporium for a curated collection of hinterland homewares and fashion. Federal is a small village with a big, earthy soul and captures the hearts of many.
• Continue on to Minyon Falls Lookout in the Nightcap National Park. If there’s been rainfall recently, the waterfall will be gushing. At over 100 metres high, it’s a spectacular sight and amazing roar amongst the peace and serenity of the surrounding rainforest. Minyon Falls was once part of the Tweed Volcano and now part of the largest area of subtropical rainforest in the world.
• Challenge: Continue on the 13km return Minyon Falls walking track that leads you down into the rainforest and across the creek at the base of the waterfall. Allow 3-4 hours.
• Head back for a relaxing afternoon at Crystal Castle where you can collect your thoughts. Have your tarot cards read, stand tall inside the largest amethyst cave in the world, sit beside Australia’s largest stone Blessing Buddha and walk quietly through the beautiful Shambala gardens. A pure dreamscape to awaken your soul.
• Need a day driver? See the hills in style from the split window of a Kombi or in a chauffeured limousine. Let local drivers safely guide you to a memorable day out in the Byron Bay hinterland.
* Experience as a quick tour, or linger longer for more in-depth experiences at one or two places only.